Mochos in a few words
One of the four main settlements of Malia municipality, is Mochos (40 km away from Iraklio). The village is mountaineous and has its roots back at the second Byzantine Period. Stalida is its harbour town (987 inhabitants according to the 2001 counting). Together, from 1940 they were Mochos community. Today, they are a part of Hersonissos municipality. The route from Stalida to Mochos (9km) is magnificent and is characterized by the beautiful alternation of sea - mountain images. It continues to the church "Panagia Kera" and the plateau of Lassithi with very rich natural environment and harmonious images of the typical Cretan landscape. A series of roads and paths give the visitor a variety of routes to follow with a lot of establishments on the way to make it easier and pleasant. In the village of Mochos someone can find houses and traditional alleys whose built is dated back at the 16th century. Famous churches with old byzantine icons like Michael Archangel, Virgin Mary (the old central church of the village). Saint George, Saint Panteleimon and "Evagelismos of Theotokos" (dedicated to the Mother of Jesus) is today's central church at Mochos square with the traditional Taverns, like ours.